Why Mosquitoes In Atlanta Bite
September 10, 2021 - Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are interesting creatures in that they bite but do not consume the blood they draw from their victims. If that just broke your mind a little bit, we are glad you are here today. There is a lot you do not know about mosquitoes. To help you better face these pests around your Atlanta property, here is everything you should know about these pests, including where they are born, why they bite, and what you should be doing to reduce your chances of getting bitten.
Not All Mosquitoes Bite
One thing most people don’t know is that only female mosquitoes bite. Male mosquitoes don't need blood or the physical equipment to gather it. Only females are equipped with the piercing, sucking mouthparts needed to draw blood from beneath elastic human skin.
The Reason Female Mosquitoes Need Blood
Female mosquitoes do not consume the blood they draw from their victims. They use it to provide nutrients for their eggs. These eggs are laid inside sources of stagnant water. Find these sources around your property inside ponds, birdbaths, ornate pools, and anywhere rainwater has been allowed to build up.
How To Reduce Mosquito Populations On Your Property
One of the best things you can do to avoid mosquito bites is to eliminate breeding grounds around your property. This is done in a few ways. To start, whenever it rains, go out after and check for areas where rainwater has collected. Pour out as many of these sources as you can and terraform your yard and property so that rainwater isn’t collecting anywhere. For sources of water, you want to keep, like birdbaths and ornate pools, change the water inside them every four days. This will eliminate microscopic eggs before they are able to hatch. For larger bodies of water like ponds and lakes, stock them with mosquitofish. These hungry fishies will consume mosquito eggs by the bucket full which will help you out a ton in the long run.
Some Ways To Avoid Mosquito Bites
If you plan on traveling off your property where you cannot control breeding grounds, here are some things you should consider doing to reduce your chances of being bitten by pesky mosquitoes.
- Avoid mosquito-dense areas such as marshlands and swamps.
- Limit your time spent outdoors during dusk and dawn as this is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Before going out into wooded areas or locations you might be bitten by mosquitoes, apply bug spray to your body and clothing. If you do not like the thought of spraying yourself down with traditional products, there are many natural options that provide protection as well.
- Understand that things like breathing heavily and sweating make you more attractive to mosquitoes and take extra steps to avoid mosquitoes when doing activities that cause these things to happen.
- Wear light-colored clothing. This will make it harder for hungry mosquitoes to spot you as they use silhouettes to hunt their prey.
The Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
No matter how much DIY you use around your property, you will never be fully protected against dangerous mosquitoes. The only way to almost completely ensure you don’t get bitten while spending time in your yard is to hire a pest control professional. At GeoMosquito, we offer a range of services to deal with invasive and dangerous mosquitoes in the Atlanta area. Do you want to enjoy your property year-round without having to deal with mosquitoes? We have an option for that. Do you need an outdoor event center mosquito-free for a few weeks? We have an option for that as well. Regardless of what your mosquito control need is, we have your option here.
Call us today to learn more.